It is no secret that household expenses are creeping up. Finding new ways to save a few dollars a month can add up over the entire year. Homeowners who are interested in putting more money into their bank accounts tend to forget about the benefits of reducing their monthly utility bills. A good way to reduce your family’s water costs is to install water-saving fixtures.
Five Water-Saving Plumbing Fixtures You Need in Your Home
There are lots of ways to save water at home. These five fixtures make water conservation easy without making you feel like you are making a sacrifice:
- Low-Flow Toilets: Your old toilet flushes away up to 28 gallons of water per person every day! That is more than a quarter of each person’s water usage. Low-flow toilets are up to five times more effective at saving water but work as well as standard toilets. If you don’t have the budget to replace the toilets in your home, look into installing inexpensive conversion kits.
- Low-Flow Shower Heads: You don’t have to take “sea showers” to conserve water. Normal showers can use up to eight gallons of water each minute, but a low-flow showerhead can cut water usage up to 75 percent. Installing a low-flow shower head in your bathroom will not only cut your water bill but will also reduce the amount of electricity you use to heat your shower.
- Motion Sensor Faucets: Reduce the amount of water you use while washing and brushing your teeth with a motion sensor faucet for your bathroom sinks. Motion sensors can help to conserve water and also help to lower the possibility of your family sharing germs by eliminating the need to turn on and off faucets manually.
- Faucet Aerators: You can use less water without any noticeable water pressure loss. Does that sound impossible? It’s not when you use a faucet aerator. A faucet aerator attaches to your sink’s faucet and forces the water through tiny holes. This introduces air into the water which helps to lowers the amount of water necessary to maintain good water pressure.
- Energy Efficient Appliances: If you are in the market for a new appliance, do your best to ensure that it is energy efficient. Look for appliances which have ENERGY STAR® ratings to compare how effective different appliances are when it comes to their energy usage. Washing machines and dishwashers are the two household appliances which use the most water in any home. Choose the most efficient models to lower your future water usage by up to 50 percent.
Big B’s Plumbing is dedicated to providing residents and businesses with quality plumbing services from our family-owned company. Our licensed and experienced technicians can handle any plumbing job, including installations, maintenance and repairs. Call 951-719-4507 to speak with one of our knowledgeable customer representatives to set up an appointment today.