Everyone wants to save a few bucks, especially when it comes to plumbing services. At some point, every homeowner will have to call a plumber, and while we all want a good deal, we might consider other avenues of hiring one other than the cheapest price. Choosing a plumber strictly on cost might get you in trouble. Fifteen research minutes can save you more than finding the cheapest plumber. It’s hard to get away with subpar service anymore.
If a company provides poor service, they will be found out, plain and simple. We are in the 21st Century, and companies like Yelp, Facebook, Google Business, Home Advisor, and Angie’s all have reviews that speak volumes about the company. You can’t put a dollar sign on a company’s reputation. It reminds me of a proverb, “A sterling reputation is better than striking it rich.” Don’t hire the cheapest plumber; hire the right plumber.
There Are So Many Variables When It Comes To Plumbing
Get more than one estimate. Some plumbing companies will give you an estimate over the phone, but when they arrive, the job is not as described, then the plumber raises the estimate. We’ve even heard of some companies giving a low estimate over the phone and raising it when they get to your home. Many plumbing companies say they have free estimates, but it’s only free if they get the job. If you dislike the estimate, you’re charged a fee, usually around $69, for the company to come out and inspect the job. However, most companies will tell you the fee doesn’t even cover their cost of coming out.
Estimates Are A Catch-22 For Plumbing Companies
On the one hand, a plumbing company doesn’t want to give an estimate over the phone, only to change it when they arrive because the job was not as described. On the other hand, they don’t drive out to a location if the customer is only looking for the cheapest estimate. So the only way to safeguard themselves is to charge a fee. So every plumbing company has to create its own model. Some are even a little bit of a hybrid; for example, some will give estimates over the phone for smaller jobs like drain cleaning or replacing a toilet or garbage disposal. But for bigger jobs like sewer lines and home repiping, they prefer to come to your home for an estimate.
Plumbing Companies Roll The Dice When They Give Estimates Over The Phone
No matter what the case is, an estimate over the phone is rolling the dice; even with small plumbing jobs such as drain cleaning, it’s virtually impossible to give an accurate estimate without looking at the job. There are so many variables when it comes to plumbing. Even drain cleaning can prove to have its own set of problems. For example, you may tell a customer $99 for drain cleaning, and when you arrive, the problem is in their sewer line and requires hydro-jetting, which costs much more.
What’s Your Comfort Level?
Other considerations are timing. You may have an issue that requires prompt attention. Some plumbers work out of their homes, and their phone calls go straight to voicemail or an answering service. In that case, you would want a team of plumbing professionals that answer their phone and provide same-day service. You may pay slightly more, but you’ll get the service you need when you need it. Every situation is different when hiring a plumber, and much of it depends on your comfort level and willingness to wait.
So Don’t Hire The Cheapest Plumber. Hire The Right Plumber!
The latest plumbing technologies are another consideration. Small plumbing companies may not have the equipment you need for your particular plumbing job. For instance, a plumbers snake may not always do the job if you have a backed-up sewer line. Only the technology of a hydro jetter has the power to eradicate tree roots. Other types of equipment used for leak detection, trenchless sewer lines, and camera inspections, just to name a few, are common with bigger plumbing companies. Having the right equipment for every job is some of the advantages when working with a bigger plumbing company. So don’t hire the cheapest plumber; hire the right plumber.
Hiring A Low-Cost Plumber May Not Be The Best Solution
While hiring a low-cost plumber may seem like a cost-effective solution initially, it’s important to consider the potential disadvantages that can arise from such a choice. Here are a few drawbacks to keep in mind:
What You Could Expect…
- Lack of Experience and Skill: Low-cost plumbers may lack the necessary experience and skill set to handle complex plumbing issues effectively. They might cut corners or provide temporary fixes, leading to recurring problems and additional expenses in the long run.
- Inferior Quality of Work: Low-cost plumbers often use cheaper materials and equipment, compromising the quality of their work. This can result in subpar repairs or installations that may not withstand the test of time, leading to more frequent repairs or replacements.
- Limited Warranty or Guarantees: Low-cost plumbers may not offer full warranties or guarantees for their work. If issues arise after their service, you may struggle to get them to return and rectify the problem without incurring additional costs.
- Hidden Fees and Upcharges: Some low-cost plumbers may initially quote a low price, but once they start the job, they may add hidden fees or upcharges for unexpected issues or unnecessary materials. This can lead to a significantly higher final bill than anticipated.
- Lack of Insurance and Proper Licensing: Cheaper plumbers may not have adequate insurance coverage or the necessary licenses and certifications local authorities require. This can leave you liable for accidents, damages, or incomplete work.
- Poor Customer Service: Low-cost plumbers may prioritize quantity over quality, leading to rushed jobs and inadequate customer service. They may not be responsive to your inquiries or provide adequate post-service support.
Remember, investing in a reputable and experienced plumber may come with a higher upfront cost, but it can save you money, time, and frustration in the long run. When selecting a plumbing professional, it’s essential to prioritize quality workmanship, reliability, and customer satisfaction. Don’t hire the cheapest plumber; hire the right plumbing company.
We Prioritize Your Safety And Peace Of Mind
In conclusion, when it comes to hiring a plumber for your needs, remember that it’s not just about finding the cheapest option but rather finding the right plumber. We may not be the cheapest or the most expensive at Big B’s Plumbing, but we offer fair and honest pricing. Our commitment to providing exceptional service with the utmost professionalism and integrity sets us apart. We prioritize your safety and peace of mind, which is why all our plumbers and individuals handling credit cards have undergone thorough background checks by a trusted third party, theseal.com. We encourage you to explore the thousands of reviews on platforms like Facebook, Google My Business, and Yelp to see why our customers trust us. Don’t settle for less regarding your plumbing needs—choose Big B’s Plumbing for a reliable service you can count on. License #986152