How Does Mold Get Into My Home?

How did mold get into my home? We’ve all experienced mold in our house at some point, whether under a sink or on a wall. The big question is, how did it get there? The fact is, spores are everywhere indoors and outdoors. Their way of passage is through doorways, windows, vents, even our heating, and air conditioning systems. Spores are capable of attaching itself to anything; for instance, they can attach to clothing, shoes, and pets then carried indoors. The spores look for a place to attach themselves that’s humid or has excessive moisture. A pipe leak under a sink or in a wall can cause mold to grow.  As odd as it may seem, building material such as cardboard, wood products, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, insulation materials, fabric, and carpet all provide enough nutrients for mold to grow.

Every Person Reacts Differently To Mold In Their Home

In extreme cases, you can see and smell it in your home. Every person reacts differently. While some are very sensitive to mold others, it does not affect them whatsoever. For those that would be considered allergic to mold, they may respond by wheezing, red itchy eyes, a stuffy nose, and in some cases, skin irritation will occur. For some that have asthma or compromised immune systems, they may show severe reactions, even shortness of breath.

Mold Common In Bathrooms Will Not Harm You

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) in 2004 found enough evidence to connect indoor exposure to mold with respiratory symptoms such as coughing and wheezing in otherwise determined healthy people. The types that’s commonly seen in our bathrooms and under our sinks is often referred to as black mold and will not cause harm unless ingested, and only then will it cause minor irritation. But under perfect conditions, in large quantities, the it can produce toxins that are detrimental to your health.

mold on wall

How Do I Prevent It From Coming In My Home?

You have to give mold an opportunity to grow in your home, so inspect your home for water leaks by checking under your sinks around your water heater and your windows seals. Inside your home, you can prevent it by controlling humidity levels in your home as well as fixing leaky pipes, roofs, and windows. Any areas of your home that have experienced flooding make sure the area is thoroughly clean and dry. Additionally, make sure your laundry room, shower, and bathroom area are well ventilated. You can clean it with bleach but never mix bleach with any other chemicals. Vinegar is the organic way of removing minor areas of mold.

Related Articles:

How To Stop Bathroom Mold
Sign &Solutions For A Broken Sewer Line
Indicators That You Need Your Plumbing Checked




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top